Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Note from Miss Twink

Mom's grandson Sean with my new housemates


Originally posted January 13, 2011

In Miss Twinkie's Words:

OC Poundhounds said they would like to hear from me. So, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I was at a Los Angeles County kill shelter when a nice woman who works for Best Friends Animal Society came and saved me. I was so grateful, but, then, I was put in a foster home. I am not a picky person, but I did not like the dad. He got mad at me because I talk a lot. I am very vocal for a Chihuahua.

They said I hated men and was a biter. My new Mom and Dad, Pat and Larry,
got an e-mail about me. It said I had to leave the foster home and nobody wanted a dog who bites and hates men. My new family said send me up to them. That started the biggest adventure of my life. One morning, they brought me to a van that had about a hundred (actually, it turned out to be 36) little dogs like me. They were all barking. I thought I was done for. We were in that van for a long time, and, finally we stopped and there was a woman there who took me, but while I was still in the carrier, because I bite.

Me, in my new home
It was late at night when the woman took me to a house and opened the gate. I was pretty scared, so she had to coax me out of the carrier. She made me dinner, and I went back into my crate. When I woke up in the morning, I thought I might be back at the shelter, because there were a lot of dogs house (but it was just eight mostly small ones), and some cats too! I met my new Dad that morning. He gave me some delicious liver cookies. It was love at first bite. When he picked me up, I decided I could trust him. I snuggled his neck, he smelled good.

I had to go potty, so I went to the door. Mom let me outside into a white world. It was very cold and the white was falling from the sky. I had been a Southern California girl for 12 years. This place was nothing like home. I couldn’t even go, I was so skittish, so I ran back into the house. Mom showed me a grass patch, but it didn’t really feel like grass. I decided since I really had to go, that this grass was close enough, and I did my business.

Every day since I've been here, I’ve gone outside to check out that white stuff. Thank goodness, it quit falling from the sky! It was cold and confusing to me.

But today I went outside and there was grass out there. It was still cold, but it was real grass. It took a couple days for me to bond with the Mom, but now I love her. She’s the one who carries me around doing housework, and she's the one who feeds us. It turns out, the other dogs aren’t so scary, and there aren't so many. I even like a couple of them.


In fact this whole place is OK with me. I never want to leave. They love me just as I am.

They say that I’m offically a foster and I am still on Petfinder, but I’m not worried! After all, nobody wants a dog who bites and hates men. Shhh. If you don’t tell, I won't!

No comments:

Post a Comment